babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 09, 2006

HEBDOMADA MAJOR


Image: Bucharest, Romania - Easter eggs painted with pictures of Jesus.

As some of you know, back in September I began my journey through the RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) program. Today marks the first post of my daily accounts, thoughts and feelings as I draw closer to becoming Catholic.
As I entered the church this morning, a somber, yet peaceful, feeling came over me. I don't know if it was because all of the statues and crucifixes that were covered or because of the incense that filled my nostrils. It doesn't matter which it was, but what did matter was that I was there. Humility and love. That is what today was about for me. To know and to admit that yes, I am not perfect, I am a sinner and I will fall short again and again - is a very humbling feeling. At the same time, it is beyond comprehension to know that through all of that, I can still experience the full grace of God. The old spiritual which was first written down in 1811 sums it up best:

What wonderous love is this,
O my soul, o my soul?
What wonderous love is this,
O my soul?
What wonderous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul,
For my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse
For my soul.

Throughout my life I've always tried to accept and understand the lows because, only then, would I truly be able to identify and appreciate the highs. Some may say that I'm strange. Life will take me through numerous lows, no doubt. However, my faith reminds me that I will never experience those lows alone. And that comforts me. On the other hand, the highs cause me to remember the acts of humility, gratitude and love because through the grace of God, I am able to receive those highs. Lesson #1 of many - Humility and Love.

1 comment:

Danielle Michelle said...

You Rock Girlfriend! Too many people nowadays don't even understand what Catholicism is. You summed it up perfectly. Good Luck with everything. If you ever come visit I'll take you to mass at the Catholic Monestary in Crestone. It's beautiful.