One of my friends, Mandy, approached me a couple of weeks ago to start talking about the baby shower. We've been throwing ideas around about date, place, food, etc. Nothing too concrete. I know that Jason's aunts will "throw" a shower for me since they do for every nephew in the family. So far not one aunt has called me yet.
I decided to take yesterday (Thursday) off from work to focus on getting a date and place set for the baby shower. My first choice, our church hall, is booked for the entire months of September and October (Saturdays and Sundays). STRIKE 1. That sucks. Since I'm very organized and extremely anal about planning stuff, I started to panic [slightly]. I told Mandy on Tuesday about trying to get a place so that I don't worry about it anymore. She offered to call around to community centers, restaurants and banquet halls to get pricing. Thank God for teachers and summer vacations!!
She called me on Wednesday and gave me a list of 4 places to choose from. Two were definitely off the list because of price. One place was charging $14/person and that didn't even include soft drinks (just coffee and tea). Yeah right. The other place charged $16/person and that included drinks. I'm sorry, but we paid $30/person for our wedding. I can not see paying that kind of money for a baby shower. Sorry baby. Anyway, I checked out the other two places yesterday and neither of them really struck me as outstanding. I picked the better of the two. The place is slightly outdated with its paint job and small kitchen set up, but I think I can overlook it....I think. The smell was slightly musty because I'm sure the facility isn't used every weekend. Nothing a few Plug-ins can't fix. I'm beginning to realize that I am WAY too particular about details.
So, the baby shower is planned for a Saturday at the end of September. Now for the irritating part:
I get a phone call from one of Jason's aunts telling me that she's "upset that I went to Mandy to plan the shower instead of talking to the aunts". Why? I didn't approach Mandy to plan my baby shower. Mandy approached me. Which I'm grateful for because obviously we didn't plan enough ahead or else we'd have the shower at Mount Carmel. Anyway, I tried to explain the situation with Mandy just wanting to gather ideas and to book the place since we've already run into a road block with my first choice. The rest of the details can be planned whenever and by whomever. Does this really have to be a big deal??? Jason's aunt said that I should've approached them if I wanted to start planning the shower. Firstly, I'm not going to call one of Jason's aunts and say, "when are you going to plan my shower?". Secondly, it shouldn't be my responsibility to plan my shower. THEY should approach ME. Right? I will be more than happy to tell them what I want and have them plan it. Plus, it's a little more complicated b/c I am having only one shower. That includes my family, too. So instead of planning for 50 or 60 people, they're going to have to plan for about 80 to 90 people. She said that they weren't thinking about plans for the shower until sometime in July and have the shower in October. Um, no. Reminder: I'm due November 8. I don't want a shower 3 weeks before my due date. What if the baby is early? I want my shower in September. Am I being too crazy? Again, why does this have to be a big deal? Maybe if they would've talked to me about it instead of assuming the shower would be in October, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. I'm not mad though.
To make matters worse, Jason's mom is in Charleston until July 3rd so I can't talk to her about it. She'll be the peace maker :)
Friday, June 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
You're not the crazy one. can't wait to plan my trip there.
It's not going to be on Sept. 22 anymore. Way too much bull for a baby shower. *sigh*
Ummm..I have no good advice about inlaws since my husband and I are currently not speaking to ours, but I understand that they can be a pain. I'm sorry:(
Post a Comment