babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Prenatal Appointment #12

Well, I've progressed since last week. The non-stress test showed that the baby is very active today (which is different from the past tests). The 20 minute test records baby's movement, heartbeat and any contractions. The minimum number of movements is two, so if the baby doesn't cooperate, then the nurse stimulates the baby by making me drink ice cold water or, if he's really stubborn, by this thing that looks like a vibrator. I had three contractions during the test (all about 7 minutes apart). The nurse seemed happy because it's showing a pattern- albeit the start of one.

I'm 4 cm dilated but still about 70% effaced. My doctor seemed quite confident that I'm in the final stretch. He said that if we wanted to have the baby today, he'd break my water and I'd probably go into active labor on my own. I think that was too real of an option, so Jason and I declined the offer! The doctor said that he'd be very surprised if I made it to the weekend. He won't be on call at the hospital until Monday, so he may not be delivering the baby. Because of the gestational diabetes concern, he did schedule an induction for Monday just in case I don't go on my own. Jason and I weren't too happy about that because we told him we want to go as natural as possible. He assured us that induction for me, at this point, just meant breaking my water. We were glad to hear that. I promise I'll post a really short note on the day I go to the hospital. Hopefully it'll be before Monday!! Friday would be nice.

6 comments:

AJ said...

How exciting! I'll think labor-ish thoughts for you.

Gross question, but did he 'scrape your membrane?' Sometimes that's enough to get things going. The doc did that for me with Ava and I had her within 24 hours of seeing the doctor.

h said...

Oh my god...so exciting! :) I'm going to be obsessively checking for baby news!

rae rae said...

My membranes were stripped too and I had C 24 hours later as well.

How exicting!!!!!

Laura said...

Very exciting! Nearly baby time!
I hope that you go into labor on your own. Tell Jason to suck it up and go get it on, that is supposed to encourage labor!!!

Diana said...

Nope, no scraping. He did offer that too. I'm sure he'll probably do it on Monday.

Laura - I like your suggestion!!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Good Luck!!