babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I crawl, therefore I conquer

All in one day. That's how long it took Bret to figure out that if he moves his legs forward, he can get somewhere. I always thought that there would be a transition period when kids learn how to do something. Guess not. It's unbelievable how he just goes and goes and goes.....straight to where he shouldn't. First he "discovered" the dusty tower of CDs that should probably be downloaded onto the iPod then pitched; second was the rack of magazines then the subwoofer and fireplace. It's hilariously mischievious. Bret's latest epiphany is pulling himself up onto the couches and anything else with a ledge. I feel bad because I want him to explore but then I'm petrified that he'll fall and hit his face, head, etc. Can't I just put him in a bubble until he can walk?!
Top teeth are coming in soon. He's totally not into eating - it's been such a chore lately - I feel like I'm force-feeding the poor kid. Sleeping is comme ci/comme ca. He naps well during the day but he still doesn't sleep through the night. Don't know why. His 9-month wellness appointment is on the 19th so that'll be the topic of discussion w/ his DR. I don't know if I can nurse for too much longer because my supply has decreased significantly even though I drink a ton of water and Bret is still nursing 4X a day. The not-sleeping-through-the-night thing really concerns me for some reason. Other than that, he's doing great. He is turning into such a little person with a HUGE personality. He's got my temperment - impatient and demanding. LOL
In other news - not too much going on this week. Next week we're the traveling circus....We leave for Milwaukee on Sunday. Jason's got work stuff there so Bret and I are tagging along. I'm supposed to be meeting up with KCK some time so that'll be fun. We come home on Tuesday, then Jason is flying to Eden Praire, MN for an "I'm-an-important-person" dinner with his boss' boss and his boss' boss' boss. He'll be back on Wednesday and then we leave for NYC on Friday for the weekend. Have any of you flown w/ an infant? Just wondering if you have any tips. After NYC, we don't have any travel plans for the rest of the year.....except for Labor Day - we're doing the Big Mac bridge walk. I can't wait for that!

Here are some pics:









I crawled into the Exersaucer!!












Now how do I get out of here?!










Mom, this floor kinda hurts my knees :(











Note: I swear I put sunblock on Bret. Nice t-shirt tan, bud.

6 comments:

randi said...

I love the second picture! It's priceless. He looks so confused. :)

rae rae said...

The second picture totally looks like Jason! Woah!

Great update :)

Erika said...

I have flown with Alex many times. Tip 1: No noisy toys on the plane unless you want everyone on the plane to hate your guts. Give him something new so he's not sick of it already. it'll be novel for most of the trip. 1 new toy there and 1 new toy back.
Tip 2: Favorite food and favorite drinks are key. Of course, Alex was a pig.
Tip 3: Use a stroller and check it at the gate.
Tip 4: you're allowed a big diaper bag - bring it. extra clothes, diapers, food, etc.
Tip 5: Benadryl - just in case. :) It'll knock him out so he sleeps.

AJ said...

I second the benadryl from Erika's comment!

Don't worry about him not sleeping through the night. All babies start it at a different age. Noah rarely does it yet and he's 22 months. I was talking with a guy at work yesterday and his daughter (whos over 2) doesn't do it yet either. I think it's pretty normal.

Diana said...

Thanks for the flying tips - I'll definitely keep them in mind.

As for the sleeping thing, it's mostly when a parent asks me if Bret is sleeping through the night and I say 'no' that it's an issue. They look at me like I'm a sh!tty mom and it makes me feel bad.

alanna rose said...

Don't listen to other people - they don't know Bret and they don't know what a great mom you are.

We walked the bridge last year - so fun! Only tip - the buses the state provides to take back over take forever (I think the wait was 5 hours last year, seriously) - just plan on walking the bridge and then hopping on the ferry and having lunch on the island, then take the ferry back to other side and have their shuttle drop you at your car or hotel.