babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, November 10, 2008

Broke as a joke

Jason and I had a discussion about our next vehicle. We have a 2000 Grand Pr!x and 2006 M!lan We purchased the M!lan knowing that it would be the "family" car; primarily for the carseat, road trips, etc. Well, it's way too damn small. We can barely fit all of our stuff in the trunk for a weekend up north. Forget about putting two carseats in the back. Carseats are a lot bigger than I thought!

We're in the market for a truck (pickup w/ full-sized cab). Nothing against anyone who drives a minivan, but I refuse to. Maybe I will some day, but not now.

Anyway - we have about 24 payments left on the M!lan so we've decided to double up on payments for a year to pay it off. We can't afford two car payments, so this time next year we're going to get a truck. I don't know if we're going to trade in the GP or sell it.

What vehicles do you use for the family?

3 comments:

alanna rose said...

My Liberty is way too small - my lease is up soon so we're looking at cars too. My dad swears by minivans - but they were his baby, so he's partial - I am not ready for one yet. We had a truck with a full cab before, but I can't see us fitting into one with a carseat....
Good luck!

AJ said...

I had a full size truck when Ava was born, a crew cab (only 2 doors) and a car seat fit just fine. Our lease is up next April, which means we can probably trade in in February, so we're on the same path to figuring out what we want.

I am not opposed to a pickup, because what you spend extra in gas money, you save in car payment. I see deals where you can lease them for $199 a month all the time since no one is going with big trucks right now. However, now that we have 2 (and hopefully will soon need 3) carseats, I need something with 4 doors....which most crew cabs have now anyways, so it's not totally out of the question.

...and as much as I despise GM, DESPISE them, from working with them, I may sell my soul to the devil and consider one as they are so much cheaper right now.

But I'm with you, I am not a mini-van person. I have a Honda Pilot right now, that I LOVE, but they're pricey, and it's too small with 2 kids and the dog, so I'm guessing it will be way to small when we have 3 kids and a dog in there:)

Laura said...

I drive the our truck every day. You could fit three car seats in the back seat with no problem. The problem is there is no storage. If I use the truck to buy groceries, I have to pile them in the front seat, unless I trust they won't blow out of the bed. (We have the truck to haul live stock, it wouldn't pick it as a family vehicle). Unless you plan on getting a cab or a cover for the bed, I wouldn't go that route.
I can't go shopping with the stroller if it's raining, something would have to end up wet, there just isn't enough room in the cab.