babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Bad, Bad UAW

My week just went down the toilet. Well, not really, but I'm not too happy right now.

For those of you who don't know, I work in a represented (union) environment. Strange, I know, because all of the engineers/chemists/technicians are salaried.

To "reward" my "good" performance, my supervisor offered alternative work schedule (AWS) to me -specifically 9/80. I was so excited because one day every other week that I don't have to drive to Dearborn is a total bonus. So, naturally, I thanked him and accepted his offer. He told me that I was one of a handful of people offered AWS and congratulated me.

*INSERT CHILDISH, MIDDLE SCHOOL BEHAVIOR HERE*

Once people found out that THEY didn't get the opportunity of AWS, the fur started to fly. To make a long story short, a grievance was filed. Needless to say, AWS came to a screeching halt within three days. *SIGH* Two questions ran through my head.....Since when did I start working in a Socialist environment? AND Why the hell am I paying union dues when I was totally screwed? I guess I was a little naive about a represented working environment. In response, I'm doing a little research. I am aware of my Beck rights, but that just addresses the financial aspect of my membership. The question that I want to answer is, can I resign my membership? We shall see. If anyone has any information on this subject, please feel free to comment.

There is a silver lining in this whole mess.....I have the personal satisfaction of being recognized by my supervisor and I've been there for only 8 months. *Insert evil grin*

4 comments:

Erika said...

that blows! unions can be evil. i get why they have them. but they have totally backfired. doesn't matter how good you do, you can only get what the worst union member gets because of all the stupid fighting.
grrrrr.
hope you can do something about that. totally unfair.

YGS said...

I'm going to be working in Dearborn every wednesday. let's meet for lunch someday!

Diana said...

Yeimy -

How fun!! My e-mail address is DSTARK8@ford.com, e-mail me when you're available.

AJ said...

I'm not a UAW fan, mostly because the UAW people I deal with are operators who want to sleep for 8 hours and still get paid, and while they're sleeping things go wrong (that could have been prevented) that we have to fix.

My mom works at a hospital that is unionized and she pays a yearly fee (not as high as union dues) to NOT belong to the union. Not sure if it applies to the UAW or not though.