babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Prenatal Appointment #3 & Pet Peeves

Does anything ever happen during these appointments?? Jason and I spent more time in the waiting room than with the doctor. Geez.

Everything is going well so far. Basically, he asked how I've been feeling and that was pretty much it. He also asked about any spotting or cramping; which I haven't experienced either at that time. He checked the baby's heartbeat and was done. Had blood drawn to check Rh compatibility. We were in and out in about 20 minutes. I wish I made $70 in 20 minutes. Things are going well. I'm starting to "stick out" and not even trying to conceal the belly anymore. It's actually kind of amusing.

Pregnancy pet peeve #1: Touching my belly - Only 1 person in this whole world is allowed to touch my belly without permission and that's Jason. If you're not Jason (Stark, that is), then you MUST ask permission. Even then I reserve the right to say 'no', depending upon my mood.

Pregnancy pet peeve #2: Pointing out my weight gain - Honestly, I think I look pretty good for almost 5 months preggers. Yes, I've gained weight (~10-15 lbs). You don't have to point that out to me. I have a closet full of clothes that don't fit right now. That is my daily reminder. Thank you.

Pregnancy pet peeve #3: Asking about names - I apologize to all my friends who've had children and I've asked you this very question. We still have 4 months to go (hopefully). You'll find out then.

Pregnancy pet peeve #4: Asking about the baby's room - See logic mentioned above.

Pregnancy pet peeve #5: Asking if I feel anything yet - Can't I enjoy *something* without 100 people asking about it? I feel flutters and indigestion. Is that good enough?!

Pregnancy pet peeve #6: Asking if I know what we're having - If I did, I'm not telling anyone. So there.

Pregnancy pet peeve #7: Asking if I'm ready to be a mom - Let's seriously think about this. Um, if I'm not, then I have 4 months to prepare. If I'm not ready then, then I have to fake it. What kind of question is that, really?

Pregnancy pet peeve #8: Asking how close the next one will be - Are you kidding me? Let's focus on our first child.

Pregnancy pet peeve #9: Treating me like I'm an invalid - I can do things for myself, really I can. I'll let you know if I don't feel comfortable doing something.

Pregnancy pet peeve #10: Treating me like I have 'outs' for everything - No, not true. I can't eat whatever I want. No, I can't drink carbonated/caffeinated drinks whenever I want. No, I can't sit on my a$$ all day long. I can only do these things if I want to weigh 250 lbs, have gestational diabetes and feel miserable at 8 and 9 months pregnant. I don't eat cheeseburgers w/ large fries and a Mountain Dew. I don't drink coffee anymore (that one hurts). I walk. Why? Because being proactive now will save me a lot of heartache later :)

More updates to come......

6 comments:

h said...

Thanks for the update! :) I've never been pregnant (obviously) and just the thought of strangers putting their hands on my stomach freaks me out. I can't wait to meet baby Stark! :)

Erika said...

LOL.... just wait until you actually have the kid. Then you get even more fun questions. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't stop once the kid comes out. :)

people will want to touch your baby, not your belly. people will ask why you named the kid what you named it. people will ask what sex it is no matter how much pink or blue they're wearing. people will give you dirty and disapproving looks if your kid acts anything but cute. It's quite the life. *sigh*.

Glad to hear you're doing well though!

And no, nothing ever happens at those appointments until the very end. :)

AJ said...

Erika got it 100% right!

I remember all those things so well and I remember being so frustrated. But now, when I read about someone else going through it, I get a little jealous/baby fever. I think all mom's do!

I think the worst one is being an independent person and once you're pregnant no one thinks you can even open a door for yourself. I was always like 'leave me alone, I can do it myself!'

If you do happen to get gestational diabetes, don't beat yourself up over it. It's hormone related, and you can't control it. I was in the lowest risk category, meaning I was 25, caucasion, and not overweight at all before I got pregnant, and I still ended up with GD. I didn't gain more than the recommended weight range (until the last weekend with Noah when I went up 7 pounds in 2 days because of water weight and was then induced the next day) and somehow I still got it. I cried for like a week becuase I didn't understand how when I was eating so healthfully and exercising that I could get it. Then I took my education class on it and realized that while overweight people are more proned to it, some people just get it because of the fact that your hormones are wacky!

Okay, enough rambling...thanks for the update, I can't wait to see pics of Baby Stark!

Laura said...

Glad that things are going well.

Just wait until that due date approaches... everyone you know will call you everyday and ask "are you still pregnant?" or "did you have that baby yet?". You'll want to change your phone number!

Kara said...

Yay for another great appt. Those visits were never fun because it was just short and sweet....pee in a cup, ask questions, etc. But it is all worth it in the end :)

alanna rose said...

If I were to ask to touch your belly would you let me? After all, this is my "sibling" :)

I'm so excited for you!!