I had my first appointment with my new OB/Gyn and it went better than I had expected. When I checked in, his nurse gave me a packet containing a boat-load of information; a preferred list of pediatricians/family doctors, a 1-year free subscription to Parents magazine, office and appointment protocol, emergency phone numbers, hospital information, etc. That was pretty cool. I actually begin to feel like the doctor believes it's important to have informed patients.
My appointment started off with the typical - blood pressure reading, weigh in and pee in a cup. Then I met the doctor in his office to talk about family history, how I'm feeling, answer any questions, etc. He said my weight gain was right on target and to keep walking because it's going to help me tremendously right before and during labor.
The only real concern he had for me was failing the glucose test. He explained that the 'normal range' is below 140 mg/dl, 'pre diabetes range' is 140 - 200 mg/dl and 'diabetes range' is above 200 mg/dl. My result was 197 mg/dl. He said he wasn't too concerned about my result, but what made him concerned was that my grandma died of complications due to diabetes. He suggested that I bypass the 3-hour test because of my family history, he's going to treat me as a diabetic. Therefore, I have to meet with a dietitian to discuss what and when I eat during the day.
I will never forget what my high school biology teacher said about procreation......"Be careful who you choose to share your genetic profile with because it's going to directly affect your children." I would like to thank my family members for some of my undesirable genes.
Other than that, everything is going really well. The bedroom is done, the furniture is ordered, we're registered and the baby shower is planned. Now we just wait......
Friday, August 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
But at least your baby will have the beautiful genes you guys share! How exciting! I love hearing your updates!
i can't believe you only have another couple of months to go!!! You seriously need to post some belly pics. :)
Yay for a great new doctor! I am so excited that your big day seems so close now!
The pregnancy diabetic diet is great. I still try to follow it, (or at least consider it) every day because when I do, my energy level is sooooo much steadier and I as sooo much happier!
I agree with Erika....I want to see some belly pics :)
I am so glad that you like your new doctor's office. I am sure you feel much more comfortable. They sound great!!!
Post a Comment