It's been a crazy week!
On Tuesday and Wednesday I met with a diabetic counselor and dietitian. They gave me a really good explanation on gestational diabetes (GD) and how pregnancy hormones literally make your body go totally wacko. Before the appointment, I was asked to keep a food diary. After the dietitian looked over my list, she had only one complaint.....I ate way too much for breakfast. WHAT???? My typical breakfast (before Wednesday) consisted of either a bowl of cereal (Kashi or plain Cheerios) w/ fruit and a glass of something to drink or a bagel w/ veggie cream cheese w/ yogurt and fruit. I didn't think that was bad. Well, come to learn that people are most glucose intolerant in the morning (since you sleep all night) and because of that, you shouldn't eat a huge breakfast because that'll make your blood sugar level skyrocket. Now I eat something on the order of 1 piece of toast and an egg or an egg w/ a glass of milk.
I've learned to count carbs. It seems like *everything* has a carb point associated with it. The first day was tough, but I'm getting the hang of it. Plus everytime I've checked my glucose level this week (since I got the meter), I've had "normal" readings.
Yesterday I had my biweekly appointment w/ my OB and it was pretty uneventful. He asked how the earlier appointments went and if I had any questions. He was glad to hear that my readings are good, explaining that he is mostly concerned b/c of my family history. He did something that kind of caught me off guard.....He measured my belly. Is that an indirect way of "measuring" the baby??? He explained to me that my belly should be around the same number in centimeters as I am in weeks along - which I was exactly that. He said the baby is head down on my left with his back curled around my belly and his feet are just above and to the right of my belly button. So that's the hard-as-a-rock lump that I've been feeling at 4am every day! I always thought it was his butt or something.
Jason and I start childbirthing class on Monday (2 classes from 6:30 - 8:30pm). That's going to be a trip. This is going to give me a good indication of how he's going to handle the birth. I find it to be extremely unattractive and semi-gross. That's just me. Hopefully Jason will be better than me. We've discussed labor and he pretty much said it's up to me since I'll be going through with it. I want to try really hard to deliver naturally (meaning no pain treatment). Nothing against epidurals or anything like that, but I feel that my body will naturally tell me when the baby is ready and feeling the contraction (as painful as I heard they are) will tell me when to push. Why interfere with what my body will tell me to do on its own? That is just my perspective. Obviously a ton of factors will come into play on the day of delivery that may take that choice from me. I'm fine w/ that too.
This weekend my cousin is throwing us a diaper party.....Typically diaper parties are just for the guys. Since women have the baby shower; guys get together, bringing a pack of diapers to the party and drink, play cards, do whatever guys do when they're together. Well, when my cousin was pregnant, I hosted one for her, but made it more of a family affair. So, in return, she's doing the same for Jason and me. That'll be fun.
Not much else going on - for now!
Friday, September 07, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
The diaper party sounds like a lot of fun! Very sweet of her to plan one, and diapers are soooo handy!
I had planned to go natural too, especially after my child birth classes, I totally was ready to do it. With Ava, I had about 8 hours of contractions and couldn't take it anymore. I asked for an epidural. The hospital I was at only liked to give the epi's for labor, not delivery, but it's up to the patient how long they leave it on and how strong. But my body had different plans. I'm one of the whackos that has the crazy blood pressure drop from the drugs they give you in an epidural. So they turned it off and I did end up going without pain meds. Same with Noah, they even tried a different drug to try to prevent the blood pressure drop but it still happened. So I ended up doing both sans drugs. But for the little while it was on, it did make the contractions bearable so I could rest up a little for the strain of delivery!
Glad to hear the diet is going well too. I had thought that I was eating really well too since I was eating all low-fat items. Turns out, a lot of low fat items like fruit and crackers, that I thought had fiber and nutritional benefits were packed with carbs and making my blood sugar go nuts! In the long run, I was glad that I did have the issues I did, because I learned a lot about looking at the nutritional value of every meal!
Diaper party! Great idea!
Glad to hear things are going well. My doctor measured Carter at the belly too when checking his growth. Amazing how it is pretty darn accurate!
Still waiting for a belly photo my love.
Presents from Heather and I should be on the way. :)
We need a belly pic!
Erika - I know you can't make it to the shower, but does that mean Heather can't come out either??
Presents are so fun!! I can't wait!
Glad to hear the new diet is okay. I eat tons of breakfast, but if I don't....I get sick. So I eat ALL morning long...lol
And a diaper party will be wonderful. All those diapers will come in so handy.
Also, hope the natural delivery works!!! You are much braver than I. I plan on them doing a c-section again, but it is recommended since I had the girls not too long ago.
that class is good for guys. Scott took everything well EXCEPT when they broke my water. they just use this plastic hook (which they will show you in class) and you can't feel it. he watched me push and all that and then he got to watch the c-section that followed.
bummer about breakfast. I love eating a big breakfast. guess you'll just have to spread it out throughout the day.
Post a Comment