babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, October 05, 2007

Precursor to Labor?

I had the night from hell last night. At about 11:30pm, I woke up with really uncomfortable tightness in my belly. I figured maybe it was something I ate or because the baby was really active during the day or because we had sex earlier in the night.

I couldn't get comfortable no matter which side I chose or if I sat straight up in bed. The only thing I found to somewhat soothe the achy, crampy feeling was to drink water and walk around the house. At about 1am, I was so tempted to get dressed and walk around the block. That's how uncomfortable it was for me. This lasted 'til about 3am when I was finally able to fall asleep. Yes, 2 hours of sleep and I am a zombie today.

So, my questions are - is that feeling "normal"? Was that a Braxton Hicks moment? If so, should it have lasted that long?

I want to call my OB's nurse to ask her if I should come in but I don't want to sound like a worry wart. I feel better today though. After last night, I'm beginning to rethink the epidural thing......


UPDATE: I called my OB's office and the nurse said as long as the tightness has gone away, it doesn't hurt when I pee and the baby is moving "normally", then there is nothing to worry about. She said that I'm being prepared for labor. Ok lady....

7 comments:

AJ said...

I know that everyone is different, but my braxton hicks never really had any pain with them, my belly just turned into a giant bowling ball making it hard to walk.

I also had preterm contractions that the doc discovered on an NST that I was required to have 2 X a week because of my gestational diabetes. When these wouldn't stop (I was 34 weeks, they put me on bed rest until 37 weeks).

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling your doctors office. If they're an OB-GYN office, they're used to it, and they've probably had way frantic calls for much less. But something that lasts that long, you should probably just let your doc know.

Erika said...

i hated braxton hicks. my belly got as hard as a rock and it was uncomfortable. At about that point in the pregnancy, I slept in the recliner with pillows all around me to get in the right position. Walking always helped me too.

Not too much longer before you won't have to worry about it anymore. You're in the home stretch. Good luck, sweetie. :)

Anonymous said...

they told me something like that, too, when that happened to me. and then I had Kobe the following day. the only difference, however, was that I was having back labor. are you dilated yet? I was 5 cm at the time and 37-38 wks, so they weren't concerned about prematurity.

Kara said...

I got Braxton hicks often with the twins. If I drank lots of water, it usually went away.

Diana said...

Mel you're freaking me out! I don't know if I'm dilated or not. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Danielle Michelle said...

Yeah for the baby wanting to say hi to us all! You are adorable by the way!

Anonymous said...

Well?! Are you dilated?!