babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Introducing......


.....Bret Daniel Stark
November 1, 2007
7lbs 15oz
21 inches
Here's how it all went down - it's going to be a long story:
At about 8:30pm on Halloween, Jason and I decided to go for a walk since it was so nice out and the kids had just wrapped up trick-or-treating. When we got home, I started to feel some contractions but that was "normal" for me after a 2 mile walk.
At about 10:30pm, the contractions didn't subside but getting closer together (about 4 minutes apart). I told Jason that if they didn't slow down by 11:00 then we'd go to the hospital. Needless to say, we ended up going a half hour later. A room was prepped for me and we were settled into it by midnight (so much for an October baby, right?!); my nurse checked me and I was dilated to 6cm and about 85% effaced. I was hooked up to an IV and walked around the L&D area for about 2 hours. My nurse came in around 2 am and said that she was going to break my water. At this point I started to get nervous because I knew there was no turning back. I can honestly say that that was almost the grossest feeling in the world. I felt like I was peeing my pants forever. As most of you know, I wanted to go unmedicated. The contractions were coming fast and furious after my water broke (about every 2 minutes) and I quickly dilated to 7cm. I will be the first to admit - I tried to be really strong and get through labor without an epidural but after laboring for an hour without one, I couldn't do it anymore. Jason kept telling me to get the epidural because he didn't want to see me struggle so much and the pain was so intense; so I did. At 3am, the epidural was administered and I felt like a million dollars. I slept until 6:30am, when I was checked again. My nurse said that I was ready but not thinned out totally. We waited until 7:30am when I started to push. The baby was born at 8:46am. Now I understand what other moms (and dads) mean when they say you can't describe into words what you feel when your baby is born. Very overwhelming and beautiful.
More later - Bret crying.

17 comments:

alanna rose said...

He is so beautiful - I just want to cuddle him!

h said...

He is gorgeous! Congrats again to you and Jason!!!!!

AJ said...

Congrats! Give him a smooch for me! He's beautiful.

Thanks for sharing your story too, that one will be fun to tell him when he's older since it was on Halloween that it started. How fun!

YGS said...

What a cute boy! Congratulations :)

Stephie said...

He is too cute! Congrats!

karen c konkel said...

That kid is going to have some great birthday parties being the day after Halloween. I'm jealous. If you could have held on just a few more hours...like 72 Bret and I could have shared a birthday. :)

Congrats D. He's beautiful.

Danielle Michelle said...

Congrats! He is adorable! I'm so happy for you guys!

Melissa said...

What an angel - congratulations!

Jericho Rose said...

Congrats!!!!! Very exciting. I can't imagine labor especially after watching knocked up the other night and experiencing what crowning is. Sounds like you did awesome!

Kara said...

Congratulations. I have been anxiously awaiting to see pics. He is so adorable. It is a great pic!!!!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, how precious! congratulations. he's sweet.

rae rae said...

Oh my Diana. He's a keeper. Congratulations!!!

Erika said...

what a beautiful baby! he's seriously one of the cutest i've ever seen.

so happy for you.

i have to admit that i laughed really hard when i got to the part of the story when you got the epi. only someone who had a long hard labor will understand why it was funny to me. my epi didn't work... but man i will always encourage people to go for it and now you know why! :)

randi said...

Congratulations he's such a cutie!!

Sonya said...

Congrats!!! He's so cute!

Laura said...

Congrats on a beauituful baby boy!

Anonymous said...

another thought: he looks like you!