babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Poopy stories

Yesterday was an overwhelming day, for several reasons. First, it seemed like Bret was having a difficult time pooping all day. He had plenty of poopy diapers but I knew whenever he was trying to "go". Poor guy. It was a struggle. I didn't know what to do for him so I just held him, rubbed his belly and pumped his legs to at least make him fart. The pediatrician said that breastfed babies can go a week without pooping because breast milk has such low "residue" (i.e. junk the body can't digest). I couldn't believe that!! How sad! Any advice on how to make his sessions less stressful? Is it something I ate?

Second reason why yesterday was overwhelming - Jason. Every Tuesday he works 1/2 day at the office and 1/2 day at home because of the conference calls to China and the 13 hour time difference. He told me on Monday that one of his co-workers is leaving the company and his last day is Wednesday (today). Jason wanted to know what I thought about him either working a full day on Tuesday so that he could go out to lunch w/ Phil before his last day or work his typical 1/2 day then meet up w/ his co-workers at a bar in the afternoon for a couple. It didn't matter to me, so I told him to make the decision since it's his co-worker. He decided to work a full day and go out to lunch. Cool. At 4pm, he called me and wanted to know if it was alright if he went to the bar for a couple of drinks after work. GRRRRR. Are you kidding me?! I didn't tell him what I was really thinking but I did let him know that I wasn't too keen on the idea. I ended the conversation with "if you go, I would appreciate it if you have one then come home". He was home at 4:30pm. He didn't go. I felt bad for about 2 seconds.

Our situation really stinks right now because everything of Bret's is scattered everywhere. His furniture hasn't come in yet so I'm changing him in his P@ck -N- Pl@y and a lot of his clothes, bath stuff, etc are just tossed in his room because I have no where to put them. Very frustrating. On weekday nights, I basically sleep downstairs on the couch b/c everything is there, plus Jason gets uninterrupted sleep (hopefully). I sleep in bed on the weekends but not for the entire night since Bret gets up around 1 - 2am and again at 3 - 4:30am. Once Bret's furniture comes in, he'll be in his crib and I'll *finally* be able to sleep in bed again. Hopefully he'll take to his crib easily! It's such a big bed for a little guy :)

Not trying to sound dismal today (although the weather is awful right now), just venting since I am super tired. I know it'll be a lot better once Bret can skip the 1 - 2am feeding. Hopefully in the next month or so!! No matter what, I'm truly grateful for him. He is half my heart.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

AJ said...

I noticed two different trends with my kids and pooping. Ava is like me, she poops every times she eats, and she has from day 1. Noah is a constipated little bugger and I still push a lot of fruit on him to help him out. Before he could have fruit, I did the same thing you did, rub his belly and bicycle his legs. He still loves belly rubs:)

rae rae said...

A few other things to think about:

- Are you burping him - I mean *really* making sure he gets a big burp after feeding? sometimes it would take Carter 10 minutes before he would burp. I always burped him in circles too - and kind of made an "up and out" pattern instead of straight thumping.

- second, he could be having trouble with gas. I highly recommend to all new moms a homeopathic medication called Gripe Water. You will notice immediate relief - either in the form of a fart or a burp - within a few minutes

- last ... try laying him over your forearm. How to describe.... flip your arm over and extend it so that the underside of your wrist is showing. place bret on his tummy, and then with your free right arm rub his bum, lower back, back, etc. trying to get rid of the air pockets. Plus babies just love being like that. :)

good luck you are doing so awesome! I can't wait to talk to you when I get back from spain!!

Laura said...

Austin poops usually once every 5 days or so... his doc sugguested baby prune juice. I found some baby apple/prune juice. I'll give him an ounce and within hours, he'll poop. Not sure if Bret might be too little for juice yet...