Bret teaches me something new every day. I woke up yesterday morning to a baby with his left eye crusted over. Eye infection? In a 6 week old? I called the DR and made an appointment for that afternoon.
I called my sister, friend and cousin to let them know that Bret may have an eye infection because we were around their kids over the past few days.
The DR looked at him and said that it's his congestion that is making his eye water and gooey. It's not infection goo that is coming out of his eye but booger goo. His sinuses are draining in his eye. Gross.
I guess I never thought that boogers can come out of your eye. Thank God it's not an infection. I asked her about the whites of his eyes (they're still cloudy/pale yellow). She said that breast-fed babies that are a little jaundice at birth tend to take a long time to totally clear up. His colon absorbs the nutrients from the breast milk and the bilirubin. Oh, ok. She said that she'd send me to the lab to ease my concern. He got his heel pricked and he was totally fine with it until the lady (actually, one of our friends) kept squeezing his heel. Then he got p!ssed and started to cry - but a total fake cry. The DR's office called last night and said that his number is normal (9.0) and his liver function is good.
I've been trying to keep on with the sleeping-in-the-crib thing. He usually eats around 9am and naps until about 11am. I fed him this morning, rocked him a bit and laid him into bed at about 10am. He laid there *quietly* for 1/2 hour then started to cry. It's a start.....As soon as I picked him up - he's out like a light. Unreal!! Let's see what happens when I put him down again.
What else should I do to acclimate him to his crib and make him feel comfortable sleeping in it?
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
I know that they say not to put blankets in their crib because they could suffocate, but with Justin we used the positioner and then rolled a blanket by his head and his feet - that way he felt more snuggled and not like he was in a big open space. Just a thought! Each baby is different!
So excited for 60th - we can have a baby party :) If you guys are staying at the Franklin Square that's where I'll make res, too.
Along with my puking gene, Noah inherited my allergies and constant congestion too. He still wakes up most mornings with a crusty nose and big eye goobers. It's gross.
Noah had one of those little animals that was a puppy head and just a wash cloth sized square of material. It's small enough for little babies to get their arms around. He loved to snuggle that and wouldn't sleep without it for quite a long time.
My brother used to put a heating pad down in the crib for a few minutes, to get it warmed up a bit, then he would lay my nephew down to sleep. It seemed to work just fine. I think it had something to do with the warmth, which maybe feels like body heat to infants? I'm not sure, but Jayden slept just fine in his crib after my brother started doing that. Just a thought...
Congrats on the beautiful baby!!
-Rose
Beta Rho, #425
If I ever have kids I'm learning a ton from you. Love to hear about you guys and love the pics!
Have a Merry 1st Christmas!
Brynley had the same issues with her eye when she was an infant. Her eye would get crusty and stay that way for a while. Glad to hear Bret didn't have an infection.
As for the crib thing....I am pretty anal. I don't believe in bumpers, positioners, etc when they are small because I am very paranoid.
I just recommend staying consistent and he will get better and used to the crib.
Post a Comment