babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, September 14, 2009

Sleeping issues

For the past 4 or 5 weeks Bret has been having problems sleeping at night. I don't know if he has nightmares or if he senses a change coming or what....He sleeps great during his nap but it's a different story at night. We started the terrible habit of bringing him into bed with us and it's getting out of control.

Here is an example of what happens (3 or 4 X a week):

Go through the same routine EVERY night
Put him in bed
He whines a bit or sometimes even cries (which is not typical for him)
Falls asleep
In the middle of the night, I hear him either crying, whining or talking...saying stuff like "mine", "no", "mama", "dada", "go". Really funny but weird at the same time. I don't know if he's sleeping or not because I don't want to disturb him if he is
If he is awake then I try to keep him in his bed by rubbing his back or shushing him...if that doesn't work then I cave in and bring him into bed with us

I don't know what's going on and I don't know what else to do at 3 or 4am to keep him in his own bed. Especially when the baby comes home and is in a bassinet right next to our bed. I don't want Bret to be in our bed and for the baby to wake him up when it's time for a feeding.

Any advice?

4 comments:

alanna rose said...

Have you thought about changing his bedtime? JJ started waking up a lot at night (shortly after he finally started sleeping through the night). I figured out he needed to eliminate his AM nap, take a longer afternoon nap, and go to bed 1/2 later. Now our house it peaceful again.
Also it's started to get cooler at night so I put him in footie pajamas, since he never keeps his blanket on. I notice that if he gets cold he sleeps very lightly.

AJ said...

I'm terrible at sleeping advice, Ava started sleeping with us at about 2 years old, and in the last year, we've finally gotten her in her own bed (once she falls asleep with me). But Noah...no such luck, he's still in with us.

Laura said...

We just booted Austin out of our bed. I made him a chart and every time he stayed in his bed all night he got a sticker and after 5 stickers he got a new tractor. I bought stickers of things he loves (tractors, trains, American flag- he's weird) so it was super fun to pick out his own stickers. Good luck!!

Diana said...

Bret hasn't had an AM nap in a LONG time...like 6 - 8 months. His PM nap is between 1.5 and 2.5 hours; between 1 and 1:30. His bedtime is between 8:30 and 9pm depending upon how long it takes him to eat his snack and brush his teeth. I don't want him to go to bed any later than that because he still wakes up at 6:30 - 7am every morning. I'll try the footie pj's.