
I knew that it was supposed to rain, but seriously. Thinking nothing of it, I went to the gym. After my workout, I wondered why there was a huge crowd in the vestibule. I quickly discovered why. It was POURING outside with thunder and lightning included. I ran out to my car and by the time I closed the door, I looked like I had stepped out of the shower. Carefully exiting the parking lot (since some spots were flooded), I had the bright idea of making a pit stop to tan. Hey, I'm going to Charleston in a week, I need a base!! Anyway, when I got to the tanning salon, a note was posted on the door that read, "Temporarily closed due to severe weather". What I didn't know at this point was that a tornado warning was in effect. Ooops. As I enter into my subdivision I knew it was going to be a challenge. Since 5 inches of rain had fallen within a hour, most of the streets were flooded. There are three ways into my subdivision. I tried the first and there were three stalled cars that blocked my way. So I tried #2. I got half way into the subdivision and I was blocked by huge branches. I'm running out of options, right?! I get out of my car and start pulling the branches to the side of the street so that I can get through. A kid (yeah listen to me, I'm calling an 18- or 19-year old a kid) came out to help me. Once we got the branches cleared, he said that it wasn't worth going through because there was at least 12" to 18" of standing water at the corner. CRAP. And I say crap because that is the same corner that I'd have to get through for entrance #3. So, I asked the kid if I could park my car in front of his house, I grabbed my keys and started running home (about 1/2 mile). All I kept thinking about was getting struck by lightning. I know, I'm a freak....But I was sort of scared, though. I get home safely and soaking wet. Crazy.
Severe weather like this reminds me of when I was growing up. My grandmother (Romanian) used to say, "Say a prayer when it's thundering and lightning; God is sad because we're not doing His will". We would also light a candle in remembrance of our dead relatives. I felt compelled to follow her advice and did just that - in her name. Rest in peace, Mama. I love you.


7 comments:
I talked to my mom while that was going on yesterday. We're so dry out here I want to scream, think the midwest could share some!? Crazy Weather!
I sat outside on my back patio watching the sky light up with each round of lightning. It was beautiful and scary at the same time!
I hope you at least had a white T-shirt on for Jason's sake.
Heather, why doesn't your comment surprise me?! LOL
I was at my mom and dad's during that storm and it was so crazy - I guess a few weeks ago the garage door opener stopped working, they assumed that because it is the same age as the house that the motor died, but everytime there was a crack of lightning the garage door would send itself up or down, it was super creepy.
that's a sweet pic. they keep promising us thunder storms and we don't get them. kind of disappointing.
We need rain over on the West side, but definitely not that much :)
Great idea Heather, Jason would love a white shirt.
Post a Comment