I truly wonder why I'm still seeing this OB/GYN. Jason and I had our prenatal appointment last week and I still am not totally comfortable with this doctor. Firstly, his staff just seems so miserable. No one smiles, no one seems happy to see pregnant women, no one seems to even act fake around patients. Whenever I have an appointment, I'm never instructed on what to do. Although I know I'm going to get weighed, have my blood pressure checked and pee in a cup. I've started my own routine. Instead of following the assistant, I walk directly to the scale, sit next to the blood-pressure-taker-machine and go to the bathroom. What irritates me is whenever I step out of the bathroom the assistant has already directed Jason into an exam room and I have no idea which one it is. So I walk around like an idiot until I find him. That really bugs me.
Anyway, back to last week's appointment:
The doctor comes in and asks us if we're interested in getting the triple screen test done. WTF?! I must have had the dirtiest look on my face because this was the conversation:
Idiot Doctor (ID): Is something wrong?
Diana Stark (DS): Yes, we were offered the test during my first trimester and we declined it. Why are we being asked again?
ID: Well, your chart says you're 15 weeks.
DS: No, I'm 25 weeks - almost my THIRD trimester.
ID (looking at his assistant): Who's the idiot that wrote this?
DS: That idiot reflects poorly on you as a doctor. You've been seeing me every month since March so you should know that I'm past 15 weeks.
ID: I was wondering why you looked so big if you were 15 weeks.
After about 2 seconds of silence (a blessing at this point because I just wanted to call him an incompetent asshole and leave) I asked if we were still scheduled to talk to the nurse (his wife) about family history. "Oh yeah, yeah. Sure." Basically, thanks for the reminder. GRRRR
Didn't get the ultrasound I was supposed to have (because of the hypothyroidism) but that didn't bother me too much because I didn't want to give him the pleasure of charging our insurance for another $300.
I'm fed up with his unprofessional attitude. Have you, or anyone you know, changed doctors in the middle of a pregnancy??? HELP!
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


9 comments:
My sister in law just moved from arizona back here and she's around 7 months and had to switch Dr.s I would be looking for a new one if I were you.
Here's my take: with both of my deliveries, I had a few complications. Nothing terribly serious, but even those minor common complications seem scary when you're trying to get a baby out of your body.
With both deliveries, they were close to sending me in for an emergency C-section. My doctor with Ava I trusted, so it was more comfortable. My doctor with Noah, I had questioned some of her decisions in the past, so it made me really nervous, and that further complicated things. Trust me, it is not fun to question whether a doctor is competent or not when you are delivering. It makes it very hard to relax.
I would suggest finding a new doc, and letting the other doctor know why. You are paying for this health care, you deserve to be happy and comfortable with it. Furthermore, you deserve to have the doctors visits be enjoyable, memorable experiences that lead to the delivery of the new person in your life!
Hope this helps!
I, obviously, have no experience being pregnant and switching doctors but personally I'd switch NOW. You want to be able to trust your doctor and this one just doesn't sound trustworthy. Good luck!
My SIL switched half way through her first pregnancy. If you aren't happy, don't stay where you are.
I would totally switch - I just met with my doctor (actually the nurse) for the first time and everyone was so pleasant, and easy to talk to - even the schedulers. Ask your GP for a referance (see who she uses). My doctor is also my GP's OB.
With the twins, I switched to a perinatologist since I was high risk, but I loved my OB/GYN. She actually referred me to my peri. I recommend changing if you are not happy. You have to have complete faith in your doctor and ability to make the best decisions while you are pregnant and during delivery. My expectations of a doctor is to know my situation. I understand that the doctor might need a refresher, that is why they they have charts/records.
Please keep us updated on what you decide!!
Switch... now! You want to be comfortable; the birth experience makes even the most experienced mothers nervous. Don't add the doctor stuff on that!
Did you really say that to the doctor? LOL
Yes, unfortunately, I did say that to the doctor.
Honestly... I'd get a different doctor. 90% of the time these days, your doc isn't the one who delivers it anyway. Mine didn't deliver Alex. Some other random doc did. Not that I cared at the time. I was in pain and didn't have time to be upset.
You might as well find someone you are happy with. Otherwise you'll ask yourself why you didn't switch later.
Post a Comment