babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bad day

Today was a bad day. Actually it started yesterday. Bret wasn't sleeping, he was fussy and seemed gassy. I rubbed his stomach, pumped his legs and fed him short, frequent feedings. He cried and cried - inconsolably. Within 24 hours, he probably slept a total of 4 or 5 hours. I even cried. Jason rocked him for a couple of hours so that I could sleep but then I felt guilty because he had to work in the morning so I took over.

No change this morning so I called the doctor's office. I was told to bring him in since he's so little. Of course I cried then too. The doctor looked him over and said that it seems like he may be constipated. OK. He pooped this morning but when is it constipation?! She advised that we feed him 1 oz of apple juice to get things going and, just for precautions sake, get blood work done to rule out any infections.

Jason and I took him to the lab right after the doctor's appointment. The technician called us back and when she looked at Bret she wasn't expecting a baby. She said that we have to wait until a second technician comes back so that she can hold his arm. What?! I asked her if the blood sample was coming from his heel and she said 'no, it has to be a sterile sample so we're going to draw it out of his arm'. Again, I started to cry. Jason told me to go for a walk and that he'll stay with Bret. I came back from my walk and heard Bret screaming. I almost lost it. I don't know who's the bigger baby, me or Bret. It was so sad.

I fed him the apple juice and nursed for a short time afterwards. He seems much calmer and is actually sleeping. *THANK GOD* Is there anything else I should do???

The doctor called with the results this afternoon. He's fine - no infections. She wants to see us back on Monday. Worst part about this whole ordeal is that Jason left for a business trip and won't be back until Friday. So, the baby that I am called my grandma and asked her if she'd spend the night with me. Thankfully she is driving down right now.

I pray that Bret is ok......I hate to see what a mess I'll be if something serious ever happens to him - God forbid.

New mom....can you tell?!

4 comments:

AJ said...

You're doing great! It gets scary when you know you're baby doesn't feel well. You did the right thing!

If it makes you feel any better, Ava is 4 years old and I still call my mom crying asking for help. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

I had to give Ava juice early on too. She wouldn't take formula as a supplemental feeding, so I gave her a little juice sometimes as a supplement.

Kara said...

I agree with AJ, you are doing a great job!!

Makena struggled stooling as well. She did great in the hospital and continued to do well for about a week after, then she had issues. I actually gave her infant glycerin suppositories every few days (would could them in fourths). It kept her system clean and she was much calmer. After about a month of doing that, she started stooling on her own.

Something you could always ask the doctor if issues persist. Hope things continue to improve and he becomes more comfortable.

rae rae said...

I cry constantly... it doesn't go away :) You are a fantastic mom... you can do this!

Did you try the gripe water? Baby Bliss Gripe Water is the name.

Does he seem to be having any reflux issues?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that the lab work had good results. I am very emotional, too, which I was not until my babies. It's like you hurt when they do. Take it easy and hope you get some rest.