babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Owwwwie

I am disappointed with Bret's DR's office. I was anxious to begin with and it didn't get any better.

Before I go on my LONG rant about the nurse - Bret weighs 16 pounds 8 ounces and is 25-1/2" long.

Diana (D): This is our first time with shots, can you please explain to us what to expect?
Nurse (N): He hasn't had any shots yet? He's 4 months old. What do you mean, he's going to get shots?
D: Are the vaccines in single-dose syringes or do they come from a multi-dose vial?
N: *Really short* A single-dose syringe.
D: OK, for his Hib shot, we want him to get the Pedvax vaccine.
N: We don't use Pedvax, we use ActHib and this office won't special order it for you either.
D: I was hoping not to give him ActHib because of some concerns.
N: *This is where everything goes downhill, on a 90 degree slope* What are you so concerned about, Thimerosal?
D: No, neither brands contain thimerosal. I'm concerned about the amount of formaldehyde and gluteraldehyde.
N: If you're concerned then you can take him to the county health department to get vaccinated and I'll let his pediatrician know.
D: No, we're here to get him vaccinated and he'll get the shots today. However, I'm really disappointed that Pedvax is listed as a vaccine on the billing sheet and you don't use it. Why is it on the sheet?
N: You can take him to the county.
D: *Really wanting to kick this woman's ass* No, give him the two shots.

I was so mad at this point that I didn't even ask for the lot numbers and package inserts for the two shots. Jason wasn't any help either, but I'm not about to bash him.

Bret did as well as can be expected. He cried for about a minute and I nursed him to calm him down. Afterwards he was his old self again; laughing and "talking".

I'm disappointed because I feel like the office gave me false information when I talked to the nurses while I was still pregnant. They told me that I can choose the brand of vaccine AND if they didn't have it, then the office would order it as long as our insurance would cover it. Our insurance covers all vaccines approved by the FDA. Anyway, I feel like I was lied to by them. Now I have to find out if they'll have Daptacel for the DTaP vaccine. If not, then Bret may not get that one. I don't like Tripedia and Infanix.

On a lighter note - CONGRATS to Alanna and Jocko!!

3 comments:

AJ said...

If they don't have the DTaP one that you want, I would really consider the Health Dept. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Macomb County HD. They were VERY informative, better than my family doctor actually, and it was very clean and the nurse was wonderful. She answered any and all questions I had and I would definitely consider going back.

Diana said...

I called the health dept and they didn't seem to be much more informative. I asked what brand name DTaP vaccine they used and she said it varies because they come from the state. She couldn't even tell me a brand name; she kept giving me the manufacturer. Nurses are so stupid. I'm not impressed with anyone I've talked to so far. Maybe nursing is my next calling in life.

Unknown said...

I am with Diana on this one. I've called the health dept in Monroe and not only are they not very informative, stop in, the place isn't what I would call clean!!