babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Weekend recap

Have you ever come home from a weekend away feeling like you need a vacation?! Our trip to Traverse City was fun. The weather left something to be desired.

Friday: Jason took a 1/2 day and we were on the road by 12:15pm. It took us about 4 hours to get there. The ride was pretty good; four hours is about Bret's limit at this point. Didn't do too much except check in and eat dinner at the sports bar in the hotel. I was super proud of Bret for eating his cereal while sitting in his stroller. Our room had a king-sized bed; sort of a bummer because I requested to doubles (one for us and one for Bret's infant bed). Instead, his bed was put onto the couch. We put him to bed at 8pm; he woke up at 9:30pm and had peed all over himself. Round one - change clothes, diaper and bedding. He woke up at 12:30am and had peed all over himself. Round two. My first thought - shit, he only has two more clean outfits left and zero clean pyjamas. Thank God I brought some long-sleeved onesies and running/jogging pants. After the poor guy wakes up a third time, Jason (the smart one between the two of us) says that he's probably cold and that's why he keeps peeing. Well, he did have a point because the couch was right under a window that may have had a draft. So at 3:30am, I put Bret into bed with us; a big NO-NO at our house. He slept plastered to me for the rest of the night. I wanted to cuddle him, but he's too little still to know what cuddling is :(

Saturday: Started off typical. I had my massage and pedicure appointments starting at 10am. It was pure bliss. The massage was well worth the $99 and I'd pay someone to paint my toenails anyday!! However, I really hate it when salons tack on the gratuity. This place charged the standard 18%. Sucks for the people who worked on me because I would've given them more than 18%. Saved us some money. Thanks. Bret was good for daddy and took his mid-AM nap. The rest of the day was spent walking around the resort, driving into town and having lunch at the Mackinaw Brewing Company. YUM. It was cold and rainy/snowy so we couldn't walk around town, which was a bummer. We wanted to go to the casino, but Bret wasn't allowed on the 'gaming floor'. Probably for the best, he's a pretty good card counter and we'd take the house for a ride. Idiots. After we put Bret to bed we were going to watch an On Demand movie but, holy shit they're expensive!! $11.99?! Are you shitting me?! I told Jason I was too much of a cheap skate to pay that much to watch a movie once. He agreed and we channel-flipped. Ah, the joys of being parents!! LOL

Sunday: The day started off really early. I heard Bret 'talking' to himself at 3:30am. There was no way I was going to get out of bed unless he started crying, which he did an hour later. I went through the routine of changing his diaper and feeding him. I put him back in his bed and he was having nothing to do with it. He was up. I didn't turn any lights on, figuring if I play with him for a little bit he'd get tired and fall asleep. Yeah right. He was still up at 5:30am so I told Jason that we might as well pack up and get on the road. I swear I think that Jason would kill me if he didn't love me. He gave me this defeated look and agreed. We were on the road by 6:15am and home by 11am.

It was fun! Now it's back to the daily grind......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that sounds like a fun little "getaway". it's funny how vacations turn out to be more work than everyday life when you have a kid. staying in a hotel w/ a baby/toddler is a fricking nightmare. we used to finally end up having Kobe sleep in his carseat b/c he wouldn't sleep anywhere else (when he got older he'd smash his face up against the mesh of the pack&play and cry right in my face all night).