babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Venting - Insomnia

Mothers take a lot of beatings sometimes - figuratively.

My days usually consist of *trying* to keep the house clean (I think I've all but given up on this one). I do a much better job on the weekends since Jason is home from work and he can entertain Bret. I also do the other "housewife" duties; cook at least 4 or 5 days a week, if not more; run errands, pay the bills, etc. Taking care of Bret goes without mentioning. I know that I don't do all things perfectly, but I do them to try to keep Jason's stress level at home to a minimum. I figure this is now my job - without complaint.

Here is where the complaining comes in:

Bret has been fighting his bed time for the past 3 nights. Instead of an 8:00pm bed time, he's decided that 9 or 10pm is better, with an occasional wake up call at midnight or later, and a morning rising at around 6am. I've let this go for a couple of nights because I haven't figured out why he's doing it. He's not sick, cold, hungry, etc. Scared? Teething? Maybe. Anyway, tonight he fell asleep around 9pm and hasn't woken up since - it's now 4 am. Are you wondering why I'm up? At 2:30am, Jason's phone rings and it's this loud, obnoxious Chinese-music ring. I know if Jason heard it he won't be able to fall back asleep until he checks his phone. So I get the phone and check on Bret. Thankfully, Bret is sleeping soundly and he's breathing. I check his phone and it's a number that called last week at 4am. Unfortunately, I'm not the type of person who will say, "oh, wrong number" and fall back asleep. I call the number (it's some chick named Rachael) and tell her that this is the second time she's called at an unbelievable hour - basically asking WTF in a nice way. She apologizes and says that she transposed two numbers. Whatever, I don't care what you did. If this is the second time you've transposed the numbers then program the RIGHT phone number into your phonebook. The first time she called, I left her a voicemail telling her she had the wrong number at 4am. So, now I can't fall back asleep. I worked out on the elliptical for a bit, got a drink of water and am now venting. If she calls again, I can guarantee that I won't be as nice. *grin*

I feel much better. I think I can fall back asleep now.

4 comments:

Kara said...

When my girls struggled falling asleep, I put them to bed earlier....like at 6:30 pm. I can't remember the name of the book....but it says that the earlier you put your baby to bed, the happier he will be. I'll try to think of it.

alanna rose said...

That would make me so mad.

I like the flylady system for keeping the house clean - I don't feel like I'm constantly cleaning, but the house is always tidy. It's free, I have a link on my blog.

What size is Bret wearing now?

rae rae said...

The book is called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Mark Weissbuth (sp?)

I was going to recommend the same as Kara. That's what I did for Carter.

Anonymous said...

how strange (that chick). you'll show her next time :)
I go w/ a diff. philosophy w/ bedtime. Kobe goes to bed around 10 and sleeps till 8. Chase stays up w/ me and gets put to bed when he's tired. Neither one of them get up at all during the night.