babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yummy new recipe - Estofado de pollo

I tried a new recipe that I clipped out of Family Circle magazine and it turned out really good. I'm going to make a few changes the next time I cook it - they'll be in parentheses.

8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinless (4 breasts)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons paprika
2 cups chicken broth (2.5 cups)
1 cup frozen peas (1/2 cup)
1 cup frozen carrots (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup white port wine
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
(curry powder - I don't know how much yet, maybe 1/2 teaspoon or so)

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Fry chicken in batches, 4 minutes per side until lightly browned; transfer to plate.

Add onion, garlic, tomato paste and paprika to pot. Cook 3 minutes, stirring. Add chicken broth, peas, carrots and wine. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken making sure most of it is covered in sauce. Simmer, covered for 25 - 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

It turned out really good but I would like it to have a little kick. Next time I'm going to use some Arabic curry powder that my friend's mom gave to me. Also, Jason isn't a big peas/carrots fan so there was a lot of veggies left at the bottom of the pot. The sauce was a bit too thick so I'm going to add another 1/2 cup of broth next time, too. Other than that, I could eat that dish once a week!! If you make it, then let me know what you think.

No comments: