babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 01, 2008

My baby is getting big - 4 months old!

Today Bret turns 4 months old and he is getting HUGE!! I don't know exactly what he weighs, but I put him on the scale with me and he's roughly 18 pounds and he's about 24" long. He fits into 6 month clothes pretty well and is in size 3 diapers. He's got the cutest, chunkiest legs! LOL

Not too much to update.

Bret gets his first round of shots on Tuesday :( He's getting the Hib and polio shots at 4, 6, 8 and 17 months; DTaP and pneumococcal shots at 5, 7, 9 and 18 months I still can't find separate shots for measles, mumps & rubella. Chickenpox and Hep B will be right before school. I'm thinking about either getting an exemption or waiting until right before he goes to school to give him the MMR shot. The scare in Las Vegas doesn't help my anxiety. If you didn't hear about it, then read this: http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/15429363/detail.html

Are these people F'in stupid?? With HIV / AIDS why and how the hell did this happen? I'm glad the government is investigating and will probably shut down the clinic. The Today Show had a segment about this and said that this type of thing happens more often than we think it does. All of the shots that Bret will get come out of a multi-dose vial instead of a single-dose syringe. Some advocacy groups tried to have multi-dose vials banned back in 1996 for this very reason. It failed, of course. Shameful.

I guess all you can do is hope and pray that you are dealing with competent and careful healthcare providers. My biggest fear is dealing with a nurse that's having a bad day. I know, I know - I'm overly anxious and can't protect Bret from everything. I admit that I'm a worrywart.

He's still getting up at night and I'm fine with it. He's only 4 months old. I've decided that I'll deal with it more seriously if he's still getting up when he's 6 months old. I'm not going to post any pics since I already did a few days ago.

6 comments:

AJ said...

One thing to think about is going to the health department to get the vaccines. I took Noah there for his 12 month shots. They were very informative and all of his shots were separate (they actually didn't have the combo vaccines) and they all came out of single dose vials. I watched the nurse fill the syringe from the sealed vial and throw the vial away.

Not sure if you've read about it but Hep A is now recommended, too. At the health department, they told me it was mainly recommended for those in day care though, just like the pnemoccocal (sp?).

Erin Byrge said...

Cherish this time with him. I just posted my 5 year old's baby pic (had to scan for a project she is doing). The time just going so fast!!

Anonymous said...

that's about all you can do when it comes to most medical treatment--pray that the drs. etc. are competent. it's difficult though.

Kara said...

Where does time go....I can't believe he is already 4-months. And YAY for a healthy baby....I love baby rolls :) He just might be surpassing Brynley on weight. She is almost 18-pounds. (But she is getting long)

Also, when will you be going back to work?

Diana said...

It's kind of funny when I dress him in 6-9 month clothes. He's definitely a chunk! I'm not going back, but we'll see in about 4 or 5 months. Bret still won't take a bottle. Even after trying different nipples.

Amy said...

Are you going to be home next thrusday! I think it is the 13th. if you are email me!