babies
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Winter blahs

I don't know who is more sick of winter, Bret or me. Today has been very challenging for a new mom like moi.

Bret didn't sleep very well last night - he woke up at 11pm then again at 3:30am. When he woke up at 7:30am, he didn't eat very well. Soon after, he peed and pooped through his diaper and up his back. Then while I was changing him, he decided to spit up A LOT on the clean onesie I just snapped up. The subsequent feedings today have not improved. His spit up (more like phlegmy puke) has caused me to change him three times so far and go through a few wash clothes and burp clothes to clean up the mess. He doesn't have a fever but seems to be extremely irritable. He didn't take a morning nap and his afternoon nap, which is usually about 2 hours long, was only 1/2 hour today. Holding or nursing him calms him down but he's so heavy that I can't hold him all day like when he was a newborn; and I don't want to nurse him too much because of effects mentioned above. Right before I got frustrated with his whining and groaning, I put him in his swing and thankfully he has fallen asleep. I don't know what his deal is today. Maybe he's just sick of looking at me all day :) I strongly believe that he's got teeth coming in because I let him gnaw on my finger until I could take the ticklish feeling anymore and he seriously went to town. *Yes, I washed my hands before I put my knuckle in his mouth*

Winter sucks. I want to be able to go for walks and entertain Bret at the playground.

What else can I do to entertain him until the weather breaks? I think he's bored with all his toys, swing and aquarium gym. I'm still trying to get him to roll over but he doesn't seem to realize that all he has to do is shift his rollie-pollie butt to one side. He rolls half way then doesn't know what to do. I keep swinging his leg over but he still hasn't done it on his own. I know, I know he's only 3 months old.......Thank God tomorrow is a new day.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Do you have any mirrors you can put in front of him? Austin is still amazed by them.

Anonymous said...

it's hard to deal w/ that kind of stuff. Esp on little sleep.
Right now I'm having a super tough time dealing w/ 2 year old melt-downs. I just have no experience w/ it and it is very hard for me.

Diana said...

Yes, I have mirrors that we play with but it lasts for about 1/2 hour and then he's not interested. I try to rotate his toys so that he's not too bored. Maybe I'm the one who's bored!!

I can not imagine what it's going to be like to deal with a toddler tantrum......Both Jason and I have short fuses when it comes to that kind of behavior. Is he too young to be sent to his room??? I'm old fashioned - I don't believe in time outs.

Kara said...

At this age it is definitely hard to entertain a little one. It is hard for me to answer since I had 2 at once and they would entertain each other.

If he is holding his head up well, a johnny jumper or exersaucer might work. I would wrap a towel around them in the exersaucer so it would help hold them up. They really enjoyed that. It also helped support their head.