I was kind of surprised today when B's DR suggested that we start him on rice cereal at 4 months. I thought that babies are supposed to have breast milk exclusively until 6 months. She said to give him cereal for a week then start on fruits and vegetables for 3 - 4 days at a time. We're supposed to call the office with any allergic reactions.
Any advice on how to proceed with solid foods?! What worked best for you? Any food allergies? Should I feed him cereal at night or some other time? HELP :)
Friday, January 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
OK... I am going to get on my soapbox now, so do with this what you want.
You will read a million things telling you a million different ways to take care of your little guy. I breastfed exclusively until 6 months and my kids did great. I also know that there are others out there gave cereal at 3 or 4 months.
So the soapbox... you know your little guy better than anyone. If he is doing well with just breastmilk, than stay with that. If he seems to need more than supplement with cereal. Just remember, there is no more perfect food than breastmilk... if he does not need the cereal - wait.
My doctor also told me to "go ahead" at 4 months, I ignored him - and he was none the wiser :)
Erin said it right! All babies are different. I breastfed both of my kids but I started them on solids earlier than six months because they were both 95th percentile tanks and were ALWAYS hungry!
Ava I started on cereal for a few weeks (at about 4 months), then started with green veggies (by my doctors recommendation because that way they don't start with the sweet stuff and refuse everything else). However, I think that they like what they like, and no matter what you start with, they eat what they like. I had to struggle to get Ava to eat any fruits. She did not, and still does not, like very much sweet food. She liked the applesauce, pears, and bananas because they aren't as sweet as the peaches and plums. But she would scarf green beans and peas like they were going out of style. She's a little wierdo!
Noah had reflux and was a tank so I started him on cereal at 3.5 months. I let him have that for a few weeks, then added fruits and veggies. I would stir 1-2 tablespoons of fruit or veggie into his cereal. I started with applesauce and bananas becuase those are foods that are bland and usually help stomach issues as opposed to causing them (even for adults), which was a big concern of mine because of his reflux. For veggies I started with grean beans. He did well with everything, and LOVED when he graduated to the foods with meats. He's still a huge eater. He will now easily eat more than Ava in a single sitting. In fact, I laugh at him, because after we're all finished eating dinner, he still eats for another 10-15 minutes.
But again, every baby is different, and you know what's best for Bret! If you feel he's still growing and thriving on just breast milk, there's nothing wrong with that. I watched a show one time that said babies can get every nutritional need from breast milk until 12 months. So go with your gut!
I agree with Erin and AJ. Do what's in your gut.
With Alex I could not WAIT to start him on solids because 1) the kid was ALWAYS hungry and 2) because he had pretty bad reflux and the solid foods helped that. the reflux didn't go away, but it helped.
He had no allergic reaction at all and it seemed to help him sleep through the night better when I mixed rice cereal with his formula. It kept him full longer.
But you do what you know is best, girl. Mommies always know. Not doctors.
I never cared for the time and effort that went into feeding babies. I breastfed my kids until they could feed themselves. Once you really start feeding, you can't stop and go back.
Some love the time spend together during feeding.
Like those who written before me, you know your baby best and what you are most comfortable doing. Maybe try feeding him once and see what you think.
I just started Austin on solids. He wasn't ready until recently. He'd choke or spit the cereal out.
If B is happy with just breastmilk, then solids for sure can wait!
You know what is best!
I stopped nursing G right when her teeth came in... there was never any biting there. Oh, this little boy is causing some pain. At least his teeth are too short to cause any serious damage... yet.
I too think Erin said it all. The rule of thumb is introducing solids between 4-6 months. If Bret is satisified with just breastmilk, I would stick with that. There is no hurry to starting solids. But if you are going to start, I recommend giving solids at the evening time as it is more filling and will hopefully allow him to sleep longer.
I started Makena on solids at about 5 months and Brynley a bit later. It there is choking, etc...then I would wait. But you know what is best for your little guy!!!
Wish I could help! BUT...he's growing so fast already!
This message is for January 9th:
Happy Birthday to Yooou
Happy Birthday to Yooooooouuu
Happy Birthday 30-year-old Diana!
Happy Birthday to you!
First of all,
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Man, you're getting old. ;)
As you all know, I'm the aunt who thinks she knows all about babies. (Well, not everything but I see what my sisters do.) Reed is about 5 months now. He just started getting curious about real food-grabbing at it and forcing it towards his mouth. I think Cori is thinking about rice cereal with breastmilk finally. Reed is the one who told her he's ready though. Both my sisters still breastfed for a year starting some food around 6m.
I'm with everyone else. You know B and what he needs and if he seems good then he probably is.
Love ya, D, and Happy Birthday again.
I took a wander down blog memory lane, and found that I started Carter on cereal at 5 months:
"Carter now eats cereal twice per day, and we are up to a total of 1/4 cup. It took awhile, but he is now used to it, and he enjoys it immensely. He makes little cries and piggy noises when he is really hungry!"
Whatever you decide will be best for your baby :) His stats seem pretty big, so you could probably start at least cereal when you feel he is ready!
And HAPPY B-DAY PLEDGE SISTAH!
Post a Comment